*Please note – This is a guest post from James Adams
Every weekday morning you get up, you drive to your job, you sit at your desk or in your cubicle, and then you go home and do it all over again. The process can become monotonous, boring, and a real drag. Since you likely spend nearly a third of your life at work, you want to learn to be happier there. In order to achieve that happiness, it is important to project a positive attitude. In fact, according to livestrong.com, employees with a positive attitude can boost customer satisfaction, have more energy, and even feel a greater sense of purpose. Consider these ten tips about how to stay positive in the office as a way to a happier and healthier life.
- Appreciate to be appreciated: It is often said that you reap what you sow. It is easier to have a positive attitude when you are appreciated by those around you. Show that appreciation to others and you will soon see it returned by them.
- Avoid brewing negativity: The break room, the smoking circle outside, or anyplace that people may sit around and talk about all the negative aspects of the job are bad for your positive attitude. A big part of staying positive is simply avoiding negativity. Likewise, it is important to keep your own negative talk in check. Don’t be a complainer; complainers don’t have positive attitudes.
- Create small, tangible, attainable goals: when you reach a reasonable goal, you create a situation to feel good about. String together a series of successes and your attitude will undoubtedly be a positive one. Even the smallest successes can help, so be generous with yourself and make a lot of goals that can be reached. Make sure your goals are tangible or at least measurable – it is easier to be positive when you know you reached the goal and can see it in front of you.
- Find ways to have fun: whether it is a harmless little work prank, a quip that brings a smile to a colleague’s face or friendly competition in the sales room, having fun can help to create a positive environment for everyone involved. Finding fun in the work place is a great way to stay positive at work, but also a good way to spread that positive attitude.
- Improve yourself as a professional: seek out professional development. Whether it is through classes, a seminar, or attending a conference. Developing yourself as a professional will give you the confidence necessary for success at your job. As you feel more confident and competent in your job, you will feel more positive.
- Be a spin-doctor: One great way to maintain a positive attitude at work is to always look for the positive. When something doesn’t go your way at work, look for the silver lining. Be the one who spins the tough break in a positive way. Your attitude will improve and others will notice.
- Learn: when something bad happens, learn from it. When someone else in the office has a success, ask them how they did it. As you learn how to be a better employee, your attitude will be more positive. Confidence breeds positive attitudes.
- Show perseverance: You know what they say – if at first you don’t succeed… But it really is a great way to create a positive attitude. By trying and trying again until you overcome the tough obstacle can do wonders for your attitude. Nothing can ruin your attitude more than giving up, but there are few things that will give you the boost that overcoming adversity can.
- Get organized: By knowing where things are, what has to be done, and when you have to be where, you feel like there is purpose in your work. Start with to-do lists, cleaning out that messy file drawer in your desk, or simply getting rid of the coffee rings on your desk. By creating some level of order around you, you will just feel better. Feeling good is the root of a positive attitude.
- Be inclusive with success: when you have a success or when your team achieves an important goal, be generous with your praise of others. By creating more positive attitudes, you are developing fertile soil in which to grow your own positive attitude.
Work can take a toll on anyone. However, finding a positive attitude in your office is a great way to relieve the stress and, at the same time, improve your productivity. By implementing some of these ideas into your work day, you can improve your focus and cultivate that important positive attitude.
If you’d like to contribute a guest post, please contact me via the website contact form.