We are, most of us at least, creatures of habit and structure. We thrive when there are rules and guidelines to assist us through the veritable maze of life and work processes. Why should productivity be any different? Learning or developing any routine or program can be frustrating and confusing. If you are feeling overwhelmed, don’t let those feelings discourage you from your quest for higher personal and professional efficiency. You will not master every technique for organization or effectiveness; you should not even try. I can hear the type A’s protesting out there – mostly because I am one of them – but if you strive for perfection, you will inevitably come away disappointed. Seek instead; measurable improvement over time and your pay-off will be less stress, greater success and more time to enjoy your life.
So, with that in mind, I have assembled a list of the most crucial rules that will ensure your success in becoming more productive over time. They are a combination of strategies gathered by researching and studying highly successful productive professionals, juggling mothers and also what I have personally found works for me.
Productivity Golden Rules
- One Change at a time – you get the best results when you truly focus on one change at a time.
- Know Your Why – What is the purpose behind your goals or work?
- Clarify your objectives.
- Plan your day, every day.
- Energy management – Know your peak productivity cycle.
- Set boundaries – Protect your time and space.
- Play to Your Strengths – Delegate or automate the rest.
- Don’t overthink, don’t procrastinate, and just do it.
- Invest in yourself – Learn, grow, improve your skills.
- Focus, Focus, Focus!
For a more in depth discussion on these productivity rules, read their individual posts, where we describe them in further detail.